Pico de Gallo
I absolutely love Pico de Gallo. If you’ve never heard of it before, it’s basically a fresh tomato salsa. The main difference between Salsa and Pico de Gallo, at least from my observations, is that Pico de Gallo is always made with fresh tomatoes and is chunkier than salsa. Salsa is sometimes made with cooked or canned tomatoes and can have a thinner consistency. Many recipes for salsa will have you make it in the blender. Since tomatoes are probably my top favorite vegetables, I love them both:). What can I say, I can’t hurt either of their feelings.
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 very small shallot, minced (you can also use red or yellow onion instead)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or up to 1 day in advance.